In this article, we will share 5 of the best free portable accounting software for Windows. Since it is a portable software, you can also use it without needing to install it. And, you can also directly use this accounting software from portable storage devices like portable HDD, Flashdrive, etc.
With this best free portable accounting software, you can easily manage your personal finances and manage small business finances. To manage finances, this software offers several sections, namely Accounts, Transactions, Budgets, Business, and others.
In Accounts section, you can add new accounts, define starting balance, and view remaining balance after various transactions. Transactions section allows you to update transaction details, transaction amount, credited amount, debited amount, transaction date, etc. Budget section, you can create and define budget income and expenses and track previous month’s budget and view total ending balance.
The Business section is designed to meet the needs of small businesses. Using it, you can create invoices, process payments, add new vendors, manage employee salaries, etc.
In this software, you can also generate accounting reports like expansion reports, profit reports, opening balance reports, etc. You can save the generated reports and other accounting information in XML, CSV, TXT, etc. formats. Okay, here are the 5 best free portable accounting software:
GnuCash is a free open source portable accounting software for Windows. Using this Software, you can manage personal and small business finances. In it, you can easily create and manage multiple accounts and transactions. It also makes it easy for you to retrieve and view financial related information when you want.
In it, you can also enter existing accounting data in the form of XML and CSV file formats. Plus, you can also save all the accounting information stored in this Software in TXT, CSV, and XML file formats. Following are the main features of this software.
Main features of GnuCash:
- Accounts: This is the main part of this Software where you can view and manage all your accounts and their details. All types of accounts are present on the interface like Assets, Equity, Expenses, Revenues, Liabilities, etc. After selecting the account, you can use the selection view to view the account details. However, to edit account details (account name, account code, currency type, account type, etc.) use the Edit option.
- Actions: In the actions tab, you can store and manage information about various accounting actions like online transactions, transaction schedules, budgeting, transactions, reconciliation, etc.
- Business: It offers business accounting specific features where you can add new customers, create invoices, process payments, add new vendors, and manage employee payroll, edit billing terms, and much more.
- Reports: From this section, you can generate reports related to Assets & Liabilities, Account Summary, Income & Expenditures, Transaction Reports, and more.
- Loan Payment Calculator: You can use it to calculate loan payments by specifying parameters like payment period, interest rate, present value, periodic payment value, future value, and payment options (compounding and period).
It is a feature-rich portable accounting software that offers many convenient account, transaction, and financial records management features.
JMoney is an open source and portable accounting software for Windows, macOS, and Linux. It is a personal financing Software through which you can manage your finances and accounts. In it, you can add multiple accounts and save details about all transactions.
For the transaction amount, it automatically calculates and shows you the current balance. It also lets you export existing account information in Quicken Interchange Format and MT940 file format.
Main features of JMoney:
- Accounts: From this section, you can create new accounts and manage existing ones. To create an account, you need to specify details like Account Name, Bank Name, Account number, Starting Balance, and Minimum Balance. After creating an account, you can use the Entry area to enter details about the amount debited, amount credited, tax percentage, transaction date, etc. The amount debited and credited, it adjusts the balance and shows you the current balance.
- Categories: Using it, you can create custom categories (balance, credit, share, etc.) to quickly view specific information of your account.
- Reports: This is another useful feature through which you can generate complete records of Account Balance and Income/Expense data. After creating the report, you can directly print it or save it in PDF format.
It is a simple portable accounting software through which you can easily manage your finances.
FreeDebks is another portable open source accounting software for Windows. It is a double entry accounting software targeted at small businesses and for personal accounting needs.
Through this Software, you can easily manage multiple accounts, balance sheets, and other important accounting details. In it, you can also import existing account information which is in an XML file. Following are the main features of this software.
FreeDebks main features:
- New Accounts: Use it to create a new account by specifying the accounting label, currency type (INR, CHF, USD, etc.), account name, etc.
- Chart of Accounts: To manage new or existing accounts, you can use this feature. In it, you can enter and change the starting balance, debited amount, credited amount, etc. After updating the account information, simply use the Recompute All option to get the current account balance.
- Views: You can use it to view balance, debited amount, credited amount of any of your accounts.
- Save As: Use it to store all data of all your accounts in both XML and FDS file formats.
It is a portable accounting software that you can use for basic accounting needs.
Akaunting is another free open source accounting software for Windows. This is a PHP based accounting software which requires local hosting software (XAMPP) and a web browser to function.
This software is primarily designed for small businesses and freelancers. To meet all accounting needs, it offers a modular interface consisting of many accounting sections. Following are the main features of this software.
Main features of Accounting:
- Banking: This is the main part of this Software where you can manage accounts, transactions, transfers, and reconciliations. To manage accounts, it offers options to add new accounts, delete accounts, and edit the properties of each account (bank name, currency type, opening balance, etc.). To manage transfers between two accounts, you just need to specify sender and recipient account numbers, transfer amount, transfer date and payment method. Similarly, you can also manage transactions with other accounts and export reports in XML format.
- Income: This section can be useful for small business owners as it offers business-oriented features namely Invoices (to create new invoices and manage existing ones), Revenue (to enter and manage revenue data), and Customers (to create a database of user information).
- Reports: Using it, you can generate different types of reports like Expanse, Income, Income Vs Expanse, Profit & Loss, etc.
- Dashboards: On the dashboard, you can view various statistics and graphs showing Total Profit, Revenue by Category (sales, deposits, etc.), Account balance, Recent Income, and much more.
- This software offers its own app store where you can download many free or paid apps to incorporate more features into this software.
It is a simple and portable accounting software that offers many useful accounting features to track and manage your finances.
moneyble is another free portable accounting software for Windows, Android. It is an accounting software that uses various Excel properties to provide a viable accounting solution. This software is mainly designed to only track personal finances. Following are the main features of this software.
Moneyble main features:
- Accounts: Using it, you can add new accounts and edit existing ones by adjusting the opening balance of current balance, date of opening balance, currency type, etc., it also lets you track credit card balance and overall balance.
- Budgets: In this section, you can define the revenue and expenses budget. Plus, it also helps you keep track of your monthly savings.
- Transactions: In it, you can add new transaction data, track transactions (debit balance and credit balance) and previous month’s beginning balance.
- Dashboards: Use it to view all month’s monthly savings, annual savings, and accumulated net worth.
- Exports: In each section of this Software, you can see an export option which allows you to export the data of the selected section in XML format.
- Password Vault: Through this feature, you can protect this Software with a password.
- Notes: As the name implies it is used to create and store records associated with accounts.
This is another decent portable accounting software that you can use for personal finance management.
Red thread: Those are the 5 best free portable accounting software for Windows. Of the 5 software above, GnuCash is my favorite because it allows you to manage your personal or small business finances. Apart from that, it offers a simple interface with all the essential tools to simplify the account management process. It also offers a dedicated reports section to generate reports on Assets & Liabilities, Account Summary, Income & Expenditures, etc.