Here is a list of the best free SSD / hard disk health check software for Windows PCs. SSD or Solid State Drive is the current standard of data storage in computers because it offers very fast data transfer speeds. However, similar to old hard disk drives, these also tend to break down after continuous use over a period of time.
To track SSD status, you can use below SSD health checker software which shows current SSD drive health. This software uses the SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology) attribute of the SSD to determine SSD health. Plus, you can also view the SMART attributes of most software like raw read error rate, remaining life, ATA errors, and bad sectors.
Apart from monitoring system health, in most of these software, you can also monitor current SSD temperature. Plus, you can also set a temperature alarm to immediately know about the high SSD temperature. Benchmarks are another nifty feature that some of these software offers. By using Benchmark, you can find out the read and write speed of SSD. There are many other useful features that this software offers such as Error Scan, SSD optimization, SSD encryption, etc.
Here are 6 software to check the health of the best free SSD / hard drive for Windows PCs. Through this app, you can check SSD and HDD health from different manufacturers. As I mentioned above, this application uses the SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis, and Reporting Technology) attribute of the SSD to determine SSD health.
CrystalDiskInfo is one of the best free SSD / hard drive health check software for Windows. Through this software, you can check SSD and HDD health from various manufacturers. As soon as you start this software, it scans the installed solid-state drive and shows its current health.
Apart from that, it also shows all SSD attributes and their values which this software uses to determine SSD health. Along with showing the SSD and HHD health, it also shows the current SSD temperature on its main interface. Now, let’s check its main features.
- Health Status: It shows the current health status (Good, Moderate, or Poor) along with the health percentage.
- SMART SSD attributes: In this section, you can see current, worst, threshold and raw values of various SSD attributes that affect SSD health like total erase count, average erase count, raw data error rate, reallocated sector count, program fail count, and others.
- Temperatures: It shows the current temperature of all your mounted SSDs and HDDs in Celsius and Fahrenheit.
- Alarm Temperature: Using it, you can set a threshold temperature value so that when the SSD reaches the threshold temperature, you will get an alarm sound and notification.
- General Information: The software also shows general information about your SSD like firmware, interface type, transfer mode, supported features, drive capacity, etc.
This is one of the best free SSD health check software because it can be used with solid-state and hard disk drives from various companies.
2. HDD Guardian
HDD Guardian is a free HDD and SSD health check software for Windows PCs. This software helps you determine the current health of your SSD and HDD drives. To check SSD health, it checks whether the SMART value exceeds the threshold or not.
Based on the SMART values, it shows you the remaining expected life of your SSD and its overall reliability. Moreover, it shows all the bad sectors and ATA errors present in your SSD or HDD drive. Let’s take a look at some of the main features of this software.
- Health: On this tab, you can find out the general health of your SSD drive like SMART value status, current temperature, remaining life, ATA errors, Bad Sector, Reliability Indicator, etc.
- SMART Attributes: This feature is present in Manage tab which shows all SSD attributes and their values which help this software determine SSD health like Raw Read Error Rate, Reallocated Sectors, Power Cycle Count, Total LBAs Written, etc.
- Test Planners: Using it, you can plan a test for your SSD to find out its fault condition.
- System: It shows the current specifications of your system like BIOS version, Motherboard, Processor Name, Installed Memory Name, etc.
It is very easy to use SSD health check software which shows the current health status and remaining SSD life.
Downloads: HDD Guardian
3. HD Tune
HD Tune is another free SSD health checker software for Windows PC. As the name implies, it can also be used to check the health of older versions of Hard Disk Drives. To check SSD health, it offers Health section where you can see all SSD attributes and their values which determine SSD health.
Apart from that, Health Status is also provided by it which shows the current health of the SSD in terms of Good, Medium, and Bad. Now, check out the main features of this software.
- Health Tabs: This tab shows the current values and thresholds of various SSD attributes which helps you determine which attribute is causing impact on SSD health. Some of the attributes it shows are raw read error rate, reallocate sector count, temperature, hardware ECC recovered, ultra DMA CRC error count, etc. In addition, health status is also included in it.
- Temperature Alarms: This is a handy feature that lets you set the temperature threshold value manually. As soon as your SSD temperature hits the threshold value, you will immediately get a warning notification.
- Information: It shows all connected SSD and HDD drives along with their storage capacity and usage percentage.
- Benchmarks: You can run this benchmark to find out the minimum data transfer rate, maximum data transfer rate, average data transfer rate, burst rate and access time of your SSD.
- Error Scans: This is another nifty feature through which you can scan your SSD to find the error.
It is an SSD health check software which is capable and can check the health of all types of SSD and HDD.
Downloads: HD Tune
4. HDD Health
HDD Health is a free hard drive health checker software that can also be used to check SSD health. It works on Windows OS. The good thing about this software is its ability to work with SSDs from various companies. Apart from showing the SSD health, it also shows the current temperature of both the SSD and HDD drives. Now, check out the main features of this SSD health check software.
- Health: This software uses the SMART SSD attribute to determine the health of an SSD or HDD drive. After determining the health of the SSD drive it shows a health bar on the interface along with the percentage of health remaining.
- SMART Attributes: In it, you can see all SMART attributes and threshold values, current, and worst. Some of the attributes it shows are allocated sectors, raw read error rate, power cycle count, load cycle count, and current pending sectors.
- Critical Drive Health Notifications: This feature automatically notifies you when the SSD health reaches a critical level.
- Extended Drive Information: In it, you can see all the information about your SSD drive like SMART feature set, power management feature set, inserted DMA, ATA version, maximum average RMS current, and much more.
It is a good HDD and SSD health check software that anyone can use without much hassle.
Downloads: HDD Health
5. ADATA SSD Toolbox
ADATA SSD Toolbox is another free SSD health check software for Windows PCs. This software is specially designed to test the health of ADATA SSD drives. Apart from ADATA SSD, this SSD does not support SSD from any other company. Although, it can still be used to check the health of old hard disk drives. Apart from SSD health, it also shows the temperature and approximate remaining life of the ADATA SSD. Let’s take a quick look at some of the key features of this SSD health check software.
- Drive Health: It shows the SSD health bar which you can see to determine the current health of your SSD.
- SMART Details: It shows all the attributes this software uses to determine SSD health such as total host writes, total host reads, uncorrectable errors, power-on cycles, read error rate, and more.
- Drive Info: On this tab, you can see all connected SSD and HDD along with temperature and free space value.
- Utilities: It offers a secure erase feature which helps you to permanently erase data from your solid-state drive.
- System Optimization: Offers two optimization features namely SSD Optimization and OS Optimization. The SSD Optimization feature executes the Trim command on the SSD to optimize its performance. On the other hand, OS optimization performs a defragmentation process to declare OS elements in the SSD.
- Temperature Alerts: Through this feature, you can set a temperature alarm for your SSD so that whenever the SSD reaches a threshold temperature, you will be notified about it immediately.
Limitations: This software only works on ADATA SSDs (solid-state drives).
It is a good SSD health check software if you have ADATA SSD or old hard disk drive.
6. Samsung Magician
Samsung Magician is the next free SSD health checker software for Windows. As the name implies, it only checks the health of the Samsung SSD. It partially works with old hard disk drives but can’t determine their health. Like most other software, it also uses the SMART data from the SSD to check its health. Plus, it also shows all the SSD attributes along with the values which you can export in CSV file format.
Apart from showing the SSD health, it also shows the current SSD temperature and general information of the Samsung SSD. Let’s take a look at some of the main features of this software.
- Drive Health: This is the main SSD health indicator showing health in the form of Good, Medium, and Bad . It also shows the total amount of data written on the SSD.
- SMART: It shows all the SSD attributes that determine SSD health along with their threshold, current, worst, and raw data values. Some of the attributes shown are error detection, total LBAs read, CRC error count, raw read error rate, reallocated sector count, etc.
- Temperatures: It shows the current temperature of your SSD.
- Performance Benchmarks: Using it, you can test the Sequential and Random read/write speed of your SSD data.
- Diagnostic Scans: Through this feature, you can scan and repair drive errors and abnormalities.
- Over Provisioning: This feature allocates a certain capacity of the SSD to the available space to increase drive performance and lifespan.
- Data Management: It offers several features through which you can safely wipe SSD data, encrypt SSD, and unencrypted SSD.
Limitations: This software only works on Samsung SSDs (solid-state drives).
It is a capable SSD health check software which also helps you optimize the performance of your Samsung SSD.
Downloads: Samsung Magician
My Favorite SSD Health Checker Software For Windows:
CrystalDiskInfo is my favorite software because it can check the health of both SSD and HDD from various companies. Apart from that, it also offers a handy SSD temperature monitor and temperature warning feature.