The main difference between Infant and Toddler is that Infant is defined as a child from birth to 1 year of age, and toddler is defined as a child who has just learned to walk or a person who walks.
Babies 0 to 1 year old are called babies. A toddler signifies a small child who has started to walk. It is used for children between the ages of one and five years. For a baby, it is the prime year of a child. In that year, babies learn or absorb many things, such as exploring things from place to place, focusing their visualization, reaching out, and more. And for toddlers, a lot of variation occurs in children over the years. As usual, in the first year period, the child’s weight is tripled.
A baby can recognize and distinguish things by name or title and understand simple commands that are rarely spoken while a toddler begins to respond to sounds and begins to say a few words and manages to gain some judgment about associating names with objects.
Baby means not able to speak. At this stage of infant development, they are completely dependent on adults for all their needs and care. While toddler means walking with small steps that are not sure. Someone who is around a baby learning to walk understands how this applies to the first staggering or wobbly steps they take.
Definition of Baby
The word “infant” usually applies to young children for less than a year. In the first or early years, infants or young children take to centering their sight or vision, exploring, reaching out, and learning or finding out about the things that are above them. Intellectual or brain growth means the process of learning and teaching language, memory, reasoning, and thinking.
During this period, infants also increase or develop bonds of love and trust with their blood or parental relationships and others in the context of communal and emotional growth. The way parents play, hold, and cuddle with their babies will determine the basis in which they will relate to themselves and others.
As a parent, you should support your baby during this period such as talking to your baby, responding when your baby makes sounds by repeating sounds and adding words, praising your baby and giving him lots of loving attention, distracting your baby with toys and move him to a harmless area when he starts to move and touch things he shouldn’t touch etc.
Development and Growth
- Between birth and 1 year of age, babies grow and develop rapidly. They begin to roll over, smile, wave, sit, babble, pick up objects, clap, crawl, and some may even begin by saying a few or a few words.
- They can connect with and trust their caregivers.
- Babies enjoy simple games, movements and music.
- At the end of this time or period, many babies walk and stand, holding tables, chairs, etc.
- Babies grow about 6 to 8 inches in this period.
Definition of Toddler
Toddler is a child aged 12 months or one year to 60 months or five years. In this term, children develop from an early stage to and enter play age or preschool age. Throughout this period, a child’s motor development and physical growth will slow down, but you can assume you see some remarkable social, intellectual, and emotional variation.
As a toddler parent, this can be both hardworking and funny. Parenting a toddler is a vast experience for parents, and it may feel like all the things you learned about parenting even though your child was just a baby are now insignificant and slowly becoming a toddler.
As a parent, you can do to help your child during this time such as reading to your child every day, encouraging them to explore and trying new things, responding to desired behavior more than you punishing unwanted behavior, Playing matching games with your toddler, such as shape sorting and simple puzzles, etc.
Development and Growth
- As children enter their second year of life, they develop to be more mobile and more liberated, exploring as many things as they can get close to.
- They also learn how to speak, recognize and imitate those around them, and follow simple directions or commands.
- As they grow older, they acquire to express or express more feelings, say in sentences and phrases and can help themselves in dressing for the day.
- They love rhymes, songs, games, and they can start knowing about colors, letters and shapes.
- They absorb a lot of things, so they start memorizing simple things.
- A typical toddler generally reaches between 53 percent and 57 percent of his adult height.
Conclusion: In short, babies are babies who are completely dependent on their parents for everything. Toddler is generally defined once an infant begins to ‘walk’.