In this article I will share a solution to fix desktop icons not appearing in Windows 10. If Windows 10 desktop icons are missing, there might be a problem with your Windows icon settings or core system. Problems like this often have no apparent reason and that makes them difficult to solve.
The majority of people think of this as a bug in Windows 10, but it’s not. This can happen accidentally and you might have changed some settings without realizing it.
Windows 10 has two types of built-in Modes to facilitate users namely Desktop and Tablet. Somehow, you might have enabled the Tablet mode leading to the disappearance of the Desktop icon.
Also read: How to Hide Desktop Icons Automatically in Windows 10
To solve desktop icons not showing up in Windows 10, there are some standard fixes that you can try and hopefully solve the problem on your computer. Here are some solutions to fix the desktop icon not appearing in Windows 10:
Disable Tablet Mode
If your computer is in Fashion Tablet, then it can cause nonsensical desktop icons to show no problem on Windows 10. So, disable Tablet Mode to solve the problem of missing Windows 10 desktop icons. To do this, follow the given steps:
- Open button Windows Start and click Settings icon.
- Click on System and then select fashion tablet in the left pane of the window.
- Now, turn off Tablet mode by pressing the toggle button.
Make Sure Desktop Icons Are Not Disabled
The second thing that you need to do is to check whether the desktop icons are disabled or not on your computer. If you disable this option by mistake, the desktop icons will not be shown on your PC system.
So, to restore all the missing desktop icons on Windows 10 computer, you need to check them out. To do so, you can follow these steps:
- Go to your desktop and right click on empty space.
- Choose an option View from the context menu.
- Check if the option Show desktop icons selected or not. If not selected, select it.
Now, try to see if the missing desktop icon from your Windows 10 computer is back or not.
Restart Windows Explorer
Windows computer desktop icons are part of the explorer.exe process. If there is a problem with this process, then it can cause the desktop icon not to appear in Windows 10.
However, this can be easily fixed by restarting the explorer.exe process. You can restart Windows Explorer using the given steps:
- Press Ctrl + Alt + Esc together to open Task Manager.
- In Task Manager, click on the tab Processes.
- select Windows Explorer or explorer.exe from the process list and right click on.
- Then select the option End task.
- Now open the menu File and click Run new task. Now, type explorer.exe in the box and click the button OK.
Also read: How to Enable Preview Pane in File Explorer Windows 10
Check Desktop Icon Settings
It’s possible that your desktop icon is hidden through settings. Hence, you should follow these instructions to check and enable desktop icons:
- Right click on the desktop and select an option Personalize from the context menu list.
- Click on tab Themes located in the left sidebar of the window.
- Next, click on Desktop icon settings.
- Now, select the icon that you want to show on the desktop.
- Click on button Apply and OK.
Also read: 10 Best Free Icon Packs For Windows 10
Desktop icons may disappear or not appear from your computer for several reasons, but this problem can be solved using potential solutions. So, to fix desktop icons not showing up, follow the solutions given above one by one.
I hope this article helped you solve the problem and the desktop icon is now visible on your computer.